Almshouses

Since the late 16th Century, almshouses were built in Bankside and Borough for the benefit of the poor, often with money left in a bequest specifically for this purpose. Now only two survive and both buildings are grade II listed.

Hopton's Almshouses were built in 1752 by money left for this purpose by Charles Hopton. His father was a wealthy City of London mercer who enrolled him as a member of the Fishmongers' Company in infancy. He owned lands in Christchurch though never lived in Southwark himself. 26 poor men were selected to live in the almshouses who also received 6 per annum, which increased to 21s 8d per month, together with a chaldron of coals. Though the men were allowed to marry, the rules were worded in such a way that their children would not become the responsibility of the parish. The cottages have been continuously occupied and after modernisation in 1988 20 units have been available for Southwark men and their wives. As can be seen from the photo, the almshouses have a very pretty garden.

P7010009

Hopton's Almshouses, Hopton Street, built in 1752.
Neo Bankside behind now dwarfs them.

Sources:
Interview with Revd. A H de Fontaine, Christchurch, Charles Booth Notebook B269, 1899.
Ida Darlington (ed), Survey of London, Vol 25(1955) Accessed from British History Online (www.british-history.ac.uk) 05.08.2011
Sir Howard Roberts and Walter H. Godfrey (eds), Survey of London, Vol 22(1950), Accessed from British History Online (www.british-history.ac.uk) 05.08.2011
H E Malden (Ed), A History of the County of Surrey Vol 4,(1912). Accessed from British History Online (www.british-history.ac.uk) 05.08.2011
Edward Walford,Old and New London: Volume 6 (1878), Accessed from British History Online (www.british-history.ac.uk) 05.08.2011
http://www.thedraperscompany.co.uk/Charities/6b_walter.html
http://www.exploringsurreyspast.org.uk/GetRecord/SHCOL_5414