The Mint

The Mint, formerly the Liberty of the Mint, lies to the West of Borough High Street and has its own history going back to Tudor times. It had aristrocratic and regal beginnings, but over a short period of time, became one of the most notorious areas of London.

Part of the land Henry VIII acquired in Southwark at the time of the Dissolution of Monastries was centered around Brandon, later Suffolk, Palace, situated opposite the church of St George the Martyr. The Palace had formerly been owned by Sir Thomas Brandon, Marshall of the Kings Bench Prison, who had created a park around the mansion by leasing some of Winchester Palaces grounds. In time, the house and lands passed to his nephew Sir Charles Brandon who also succeeded to the position of Marshall of the Kings Bench Prison. He was a great friend and favourite of Henry VIII and after being created the Duke of Suffolk in 1514 married the Kings sister Mary in 1515.

Sanctuary Street

Conviviality at Bob Sawyer's lodgings in Lant Street

Lodging house

Lodging house in Mint Street in 1898 just before it was purchased to become St Michael's Vicarage

Mint Street

Mint Street 1854. Copyright Trustees of the British Museum


Mint Street 2011 The park on the right is on the former site of the workhouse.

Charles Dickens, Pickwick Papers (1835/36)
Interview with Revd. W H Langsden, St Michael's, Charles Booth Notebook (District 31, Book No. C1), 1899
David Owen, ''St George the Martyr' in The Government of Victorian London(1982) Harvard
Ida Darlington (ed),Survey of London, Vol 25 (1955)
George Sims,How the Poor Live (1883)
George Sims,Horrible London(1889)
John Stow, Survey of London (1598)
Edward Walford,Old and New London: Volume 6(1878), downloaded from Date accessed: 11 July 2011
George Weight, Statistics of the Parish of St George the Martyr, Southwark, Journal of the Statistical Society,April 1840 (Google Books)
London Metroplitan Archives: ACC/3445/PT/05/07/01 Peabody Trust Register of Deeds