Winchester Palace

Southwark Cathedral

Clink Street

email: info@banksidethenandnow.co.uk

Dickens Dog

In the 1820s, Charles Dickens lodged in Lant Street to be close to his family imprisoned in Marshalsea Prison for debt. He worked at a blacking factory in Charing Cross and in later years, spoke of his daily journey which took him past "the likeness of a golden dog licking a golden pot over a shop door". The original brass dog was still over the ironmongers at the corner of Blackfriars Road and Union Street in 1931 when it was removed to the Cuming Museum.

On 6th February 2013 a replica of the dog and bowl was unveiled as part of Charles Dickens' bicentennial celebrations located on the same spot as the original. It has been carved by Michael Painter from seasoned elm.