To meet the needs of an exploding population in the nineteenth century, six new parishes were formed out of existing parishes, the majority of these from the parish of St George the Martyr. The new parishes were:

1839 - St Peters, Sumner Street, sub-parish of St Saviours
1851 St Judes, St Georges Road, sub-parish of St George the Martyr
1858 St Pauls, Westminster Bridge Road, sub-parish of St George the Martyr
1867 St Michaels, Lant Street, sub-parish of St George the Martyr
1872 St Alphege, Lancaster Street, sub-parish of St George the Martyr
1875 All Hallows,Orange Street (now Copperfield Street), sub-parish of St Saviours and Christchurch

There was great poverty in all parishes with inhabitants living in appalling conditions but those with the greatest proportion of poor and destitute were considered to be St George the Martyr, St Alphege, St Michael and All Hallows. By the end of the century, the last two parishes were reporting an improvement, as did St Peter's and St Paul's.

To a lesser and greater extent, influenced by the mission movement, churches were becoming more proactive in bringing the message of God to the people and the poor urban population were regarded as heathens to be converted in the same way as heathens in overseas countries. The clergy and workers attached to the parish visited people in their homes and brought what relief they were able but approaches differed with different churches: some saw it very much as a means of bringing people into the fold whilst others did what they could just to help and alleviate the suffering of their parishioners. All churches ran very well attended Sunday Schools and many other meetings were held that encouraged the concept of self-help within a Christian context, and provided clubs as an alternative environment outside of the usually over-crowded and often squalid home or public house.

What all churches had in common was their constant need for money to further their work. Raising money for the aid of parishioners or repairs to the church was continuous and parishes met with varying degrees of success. St Alphege was very successful at raising subscriptions and St Jude's and All Hallows (eventually) raised enough to build new churches. As much of what the parish clergy wrote about their own parish was with the intention of raising money, their prose is persuasive and often colourful and emotive. What the vicar of one parish wrote in his fund-raising leaflets was at odds with what he reported to the Charles Booth investigator only a short time later!

The language used and views expressed by the clergy of the nineteenth century today can seem archaic at times but they have to be given credit for helping their parishioners in practical terms and also by education. They were aware that to be able to make any great long-lasting difference living conditions had to improve.

A visit to theCharles Booth Online Archiveis recommended, a search will show the parish boundaries and the conditions within each individual parish.

None of the six parishes exist today, as the population declined they were reintegrated into the mother parishes. Two of the churches were destroyed in World War II, two were demolished after they were declared redundant by the Diocese of Southwark, part of one church still stands within a community garden, and one church is still standing in its entirety and is used as a community centre and place of non-anglican worship.

All Hallows

All Hallows Church, Copperfield Street
(formerly called Orange Street)